Charity / Voluntary, Environmental / Conservation
Location: RSPB Ynys-hir, Machynlleth
Salary: £26,180.00 - £37,633.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days holiday
Ynys-hir, set within the beautiful Dyfi Valley, is a truly inspirational workplace. We have a small, close-knit team of people who manage this special place and we are looking for someone to fore fill the pivotal role of warden.
The reserve is blessed with a wide range of habitats and charismatic species. However, for this role, the work will concentrate mainly on woodlands and ffridd (upland fringe) habitats. Here our management is targeted towards pied flycatcher, wood warbler, whinchat, lower plants, a range of rare invertebrates, dormouse, otter and an assemblage of bats.
Management work will include removing non-native species, restoring woodland grazing regimes and removing conifer plantations from our holding.
About the Role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and practical person with land management, survey/monitoring and people skills to play a key role in our reserves team.
The successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of managing Ynys-hir, but concentrating on woodland and ffridd habitat. Responsibilities are varied and include habitat management, survey/monitoring a range of species and habitats, infrastructure maintenance, applying for consents and permissions, record keeping and report writing, leading volunteer work groups and guided walks.
- Be jointly responsible for the implementation of the reserve management plan including habitat management and record keeping to ensure delivery of sites’ and RSPB objectives and compliance obligations.
- Undertake and oversee species/habitat survey and monitoring work on the sites to ensure delivery of sites’ objectives.
- Undertake and oversee the maintenance of the reserve estate (including machinery where relevant) to ensure efficient and safe operation and use to meet the RSPB’s and the sites’ Health & Safety and other obligations.
- Lead volunteer work parties
- Ensure the reserve is managed in accordance with best practise with respect to Health and Safety, environmental management and legal compliance of conservation and land management laws and regulations. This will include applying for SSSI consents, EPS licences and felling licences.
- Supervise contractors to carry out work on site safely and legally to deliver the management plan targets.
- Assist in the delivery of visitor experience activities to deliver the reserve’s targets.
- Be as capable of hard, physical work in all weather conditions as you are of attending to the detail of accurate report writing.
- Have a full UK driving licence.
What we need from you
- Understand the ecological & survey requirements of key species and habitats
- A proven track record of conservation land management.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of compliance requirements applying to site management
- Practical estate management and maintenance skills
- Organisational skills, including time management and prioritisation.
- A proactive approach to problem solving.
- Working with staff, volunteers and contractors.
- Individual and team management skills.
- Three A'levels or equivalent qualification/experience in a relevant subject/work area
- Use of machinery and equipment associated with woodland habitats
- Lantra or other qualification in first aid, herb/pesticide use, 4WD vehicle use, ATV use, chainsaw, brushcutter and tractor.
- Knowledge of the Welsh Language.
This is a Permanent role for 37.5 hours per week.
Closing date: 23:59, Monday 10th April 2023
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 24th April 2023.
We are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse RSPB, in which everyone feels supported, valued, and able to be their full selves. To achieve our vision of creating a world richer in nature, we need more people, and more diverse people, on nature’s side. People of colour and disabled people are currently underrepresented across the environment, climate, sustainability, and conservation sector. If you identify as a person of colour and/or disabled, we are particularly interested in receiving your application. Contact us to discuss any additional support you may need to complete your application.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).