Charity / Voluntary, Leisure / Tourism, Management
Visitor Experience Duty Manager – Bank Staff
Location: Pembroke Street, Oxford OX1
Salary: £13.25 per hour
Hours: Zero Hours – Bank on Weekends and Evenings
About Modern Art Oxford
Modern Art Oxford is one of the UK’s most exciting and influential contemporary art organisations, renowned for its bold and ambitious artistic programme that promotes diversity and internationalism and celebrates contemporary art as a progressive agent of social change.
Founded in 1965, it is the only public institution dedicated to contemporary visual arts in Oxford and plays a central role in the city’s cultural landscape.
About the Role
The role of the Visitor Experience Duty Manager is to support the Visitor Experience Team (VE) with the management of gallery opening hours and the events calendar. Motivating and leading the VE Team, on a day to day basis, providing an inspiring, engaging and inclusive visitor experience for broad and diverse audiences.
This role will cover weekends, evening events and occasional leave days for the VE Team.
Visitor Experience Duty Managers fulfil Duty Management responsibilities for the building to ensure the safety and security of staff, visitors and exhibitions/events.
Please note that this is a bank staff role. Hours of work are as and when required, by mutual agreement on a 4 week rota. These may periodically increase or decrease depending on the requirements of the Gallery. The candidate will receive two weeks notice of any changes to their hours. They will be expected to work evenings and weekends.
Operational and Health & Safety
- The VEDM (Visitor Experience Duty Manager) is responsible for opening and / or closing the building on their shift, and for the setting of alarms. They are also required, in an emergency, to organise maintenance of the building, including intruder and fire alarms. All Duty Managers are included on the call out list for possible out of hours alarm issues.
- In the event of an emergency or fire alarm the VEDM is required to manage a full building evacuation and work as the contact person to the fire brigade.
- To ensure that the building is safe and clean by checking all areas before the building is open to the public or before an event. Turning on/off all lighting and replacing bulbs where necessary, checking fuse boards and making minor repairs, cleaning toilets when necessary. Continue to monitor throughout the day, allocating deliveries to appropriate storage areas, checking toilet facilities and following general risk assessment for areas of prohibited public access.
- To manage and adhere to all Health and Safety and building security practices, including completing risk assessments for events. On the shifts when the Duty Manger is the only key holder in the building they must not leave the premises.
- To be responsible for upholding the premises licence according to the Licensing Act 2003, to ensure the café/bar adheres to alcohol licensing laws and to oversee the selling and consumption of alcohol within the building and any other licensed activities. To ensure that capacity numbers for events are not exceeded.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Visitor Experience team and other gallery departments providing services that contribute to visitor experience, (including the cafe and shop) to ensure a consistent and seamless service is provided to our visitors.
- To be able to give short tours/presentations to schools/groups about the current exhibition.
- To deal with all general enquiries and problems that may arise during the shift in a calm and professional manner with both customers and staff.
- Work with VSM to manage group booking enquiries sensitively and efficiently.
- Work with the VSM to develop projects that will build on and enhance the visitor experience
- To assist in the coordination of events with event organisers and other key staff to ensure that all arrangements have been made for staff, equipment and booking of each event.
- To support the events and hires programme at the gallery, including setting up of AV equipment and moving furniture for events.
- Work with Commercial Manager to keep up to date with hire enquiries and show prospective clients available spaces if required.
- To provide a warm welcome to hirers, visiting speakers, artists, and ensure they have everything they need for their event.
- Complete event reports for all events and distribute VSM and event organisers.
- Checking online sales and tickets, assisting with processing sales and bookings for events when necessary. Ensure that all visitor figures and sales are recorded after each event.
- Excellent communication skills demonstrating the ability to deal with colleagues, visitors and external partners.
- Experience of working with the public and of providing excellent customer service, preferably gained in an arts/entertainment environment.
- Strong organisational skills and the willingness to be involved in the practical set up of events.
- Reliable, punctual and able to work flexibly including evenings and weekends.
- Experience of using and setting up AV equipment, lifting and carrying equipment, chairs and tables.
- An enthusiasm for art and commitment to the work of Modern Art Oxford.Availability to work weekends, evenings and late nights (occasionally until 3am)
- The Modern Art Oxford holiday year runs from 1st April to 31 March. Annual holiday entitlement will accrue at 0.127 hours for each hour worked and paid quarterly at the hourly rate.
Closing Date: 28th December 2023
Please note: Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis, and interviews planned accordingly.
Modern Art Oxford is committed to creating equality of opportunity for all and we value diversity in our team. As part of our Anti-racism Action Plan, we welcome applications from people from the global majority who are under-represented in the workforce in our sector.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).