Charity / Voluntary, Customer Service, Digital, Environmental / Conservation, IT / Web Development, Management, Operations, Other
Senior Systems Engineer
Location: Flexible in UK
Salary: £33,600.00 - £37,275.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave
Terms / Duration: Permanent, Full-Time role
The RSPB are working hard to save nature. Much of that work is dependent on our IT Systems and we need you to help us to design and implement those systems.
Can you provide expertise and leadership in delivering technology whether it be an application or new infrastructure?
Are you comfortable assessing customer/business needs and industry trends to deliver solutions that have a broad (e.g. organisation wide) impact for technology?
Can you see the need and articulate it even before the Customer thinks of it?
Can you enthuse and motivate others and through your management style develop their skills and help them further their career?
If this sounds like you then join our Technology Operations Team who are responsible for the design, implementation and handover of Business Applications as well as IT Infrastructure (Desktop, Server, Storage, Network and Telecoms).
What’s the role about?
As a Senior Engineer you will be expected to represent the Technology Services team across the organisation and provide a technology leadership role within the projects you are working on.
You will work both individually and collectively to design, implement and support the delivery of new technology and solutions into the organisation. When delivering a solution, you will be responsible for the technical aspects of the project so strong technical skills are a must.
You will carry out research, analysis, incremental improvement, testing and documentation of technologies, platforms and services. You will operate primarily within the Technology Services team but also at times as part of a wider organisational project under the direction of a Scrum Master or Project Manager.
You will be able to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical customers, interpreting their requirements and matching this to technological initiatives or bringing those needs to the wider digital technology project team. You will also work alongside colleagues in the support team s to ensure the seamless transition of stable platforms and services from your delivery role to their operational support role.
At times, you will be expected to adopt elements of the role of leader, business analyst, and trouble shooter. You will be a self-starter who can work both within an Agile sprint structure but also under your own initiative, depending on the nature of each individual programme/project or piece of work and be able to support and guide Systems Engineers under your line management.
As part of an established Technology Services function within the Digital Technology team this is an exciting opportunity to shape and demonstrate how investment in this area can provide a step change in the exploitation of line of business systems to help save nature and deliver a more technologically aware workforce.
You will be a line manager of 2-3 engineers supporting their ongoing development.
You will also be an advocate for saving nature. Nature’s in big trouble - the climate crisis and loss of habitat are pushing some of our best loved species towards extinction. We will not let nature fall silent. This role is your chance to make real change possible. What do you say?
What we need from you:
- As this is a position with line reports we need you to manage a small team of engineers
- Proven experience of planning, implementing and supporting IT systems in a Microsoft Windows client/server environment and the ability to progress work activities according to strategic or tactical need and in line with general, industry guidelines or organisational policy, using initiative and independent judgement.
- Ability to link business strategy to technology outputs, and identify where existing technologies could be leveraged further, to support our Saving Nature mission.
- Experience of planning and progressing technical projects and contributing to significant projects/programmes of work as part of a wider team of both a reactive and planned nature.
- Proven experience of troubleshooting and resolving issues with IT Systems and applications and a clear understanding of how to identify and set quality measures to ensure systems and applications are performing optimally.
- Proven experience in delivering a seamless transition of systems and applications you have implemented into live support.
- Experience of working within a Devops framework would be desirable
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills to enable the postholder to work not just with technical colleagues but with customers within the organisation. You will need to be able to understand their support issues and business needs, discuss potential solutions and provide the best solutions.
- You will need to have the ability to demonstrate good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience of having guided the work of others with the ability to develop and improve the capability of staff within the Technology Operations team.
- Coaching and mentoring members of staff to better meet the current and future requirements of the work area.
Closing date: 23:59, Tuesday 31st May 2022
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 20th June 2022.
With an ideal start date of 28th June 2022.
Please note that we are actively recruiting for this position and reserve the right to close this vacancy once sufficient applications have been received.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).