Charity / Voluntary, Environmental / Conservation, Management, Operations, Other
Are you excited at the prospect of helping catalyse the delivery of the RSPB’s new strategy, using your expertise in portfolio working to ensure we’re making the best use of our resources?
Portfolio Management Lead Specialist - (Flexible in UK)
Location: Flexible in UK
Salary: £38,000.00 - £42,156.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Annual Leave, Life Assurance
As the UK’s largest nature conservation charity, we spend £150m p.a. in pursuit of our vision – a world richer in nature. You will be joining a workforce of over 14,000 employees and volunteers dedicated to realising that vision, alongside our many partner organisations. Our new strategy to 2030 describes our vital part in tackling the nature and climate crisis facing our planet and clarifies how we will rise to the challenge in this critical decade.
As lead portfolio specialist, you will help define and embed best practices, co-ordinating an internal portfolio management community and supporting the attainment of the skills and capabilities needed.
You will also manage portfolios directly on behalf of Portfolio Executives, currently, those covering our species recovery, marine, and UK Overseas Territories programmes.
You will be working with colleagues responsible for strategic planning, performance, and delivery across the RSPB. In summary, we need your help to ensure we make the best use of the charitable resources entrusted to us in delivering our strategy.
Key activities will include:
Lead development of the portfolio management specialism:
- Identify and implement leading edge portfolio management practices and help develop and embed relevant standards, processes, and behaviours
- Co-ordinate an internal practitioners’ network; helping define the skills and capabilities, celebrating successes and promoting the RSPB’s values and positive behaviours
- Coach or mentor other portfolio managers as required
For the portfolios managed:
- Catalyse development of portfolio plans, ensuring key results are jointly owned with delivery teams and plans are reviewed regularly to reflect the strategic need
- Facilitate an annual process to steer the identification of priorities and contributions to portfolio objectives
- Recommend and report key results and targets so that portfolio performance reviews focus on and monitor the most useful things
- Ensure that portfolios, and constituent projects and programmes, operate effectively and meet required standards. Use progress reports and dashboards to facilitate performance monitoring by Portfolio Board, identifying, resolving, and/or escalating risks and issues as required
- Co-ordinate portfolio stakeholder engagement; support the Portfolio Executive in engaging senior stakeholders and where necessary, resolving barriers to delivery
What we need from you:
- Knowledge and significant experience of applying P3M methodologies including the preparation of business cases and related performance evaluation
- An awareness of the RSPB’s charitable mission and context for strategy delivery
- Proven leadership and facilitation skills, navigating uncertainty and politics.
- Ability to communicate a compelling vision and standards for portfolio management; encouraging others to buy into and support achievement of these and overcome barriers to progress
- Business management skills to understand strategy, business functions and decision-making, financial statements and performance metrics, logical and analytical approach
- Proven ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams to deliver shared outcomes, monitoring the performance of multiple programmes and projects
- Proactive approach to helping develop the capability of colleagues
- Ability to form collaborative working relationships with a diverse network of internal stakeholders to promote integration across functions, representing and promoting own specialism as required
- Portfolio practitioner status, which may be supplemented by programme and/or project practitioner qualifications
Closing date: 22:59, Sunday 22nd May 2022
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).