Environmental / Conservation
Insh Marshes Reserve Trainee (Fixed-Term)
Location: Insh Marshes
Salary: £17,960.00 - £19,925.00 Pro Rata
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Duration: 6 months
Insh Marshes reserve is flanked by the stunning Cairngorm and Monadhliath mountain ranges. The reserve is home to a fantastic array of habitats, including sedge fen, wet grassland and woodland, and an incredible array of wildlife, including breeding waders, spotted crake and osprey, wintering hen harrier and whooper swan, and nationally important populations of invertebrates and plants.
You will be an excellent communicator, this role will involve working alongside a wide range of audiences including graziers, neighbours, land owners, local communities, and reserve visitors. The post holder will work closely with local and residential volunteers therefore enthusiasm to work with volunteers is essential.
The trainee will be responsible for delivering our autumn and winter practical habitat management and estate management work programme as part of a small team.
Your own personal development will be an important part of your objectives in this role, training, support and mentoring will be provided. This opportunity offers the successful applicant the chance to work and develop their ecological knowledge of upland wet grassland, wetlands, and woodland habitats.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of building and maintaining positive working relationships and working well as part of a team.
- Ability and experience to deliver the practical habitat management and upkeep of the reserve infrastructure to a high standard.
- Experience of keeping up to date health and safety records to ensure compliance with health and safety regulations and to enable improvements to be set.
- Knowledge and experience of servicing and maintaining machinery and vehicles to ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.
- Keep clear and up to date records of use and maintenance.
- Experience of inputting electronic data such as biological and management records.
- You will have an enthusiastic approach to work and an interest in nature conservation.
- You will respond positively to colleagues needs and feedback.
- Ability and experience of planning your own work with support and be able to work under your own initiative.
- You will have good bird ID skills to carry out winter bird surveys.
- Experience of completing all tasks in compliance with Health & Safety policy to minimise risk to the RSPB.
This role is funded by Cairngorms Connect, the largest habitat restoration partnership in Britain. Insh Marshes is part of the Cairngorms Connect partnership area, the trainee role will help support the Insh Marshes team to deliver our vision to transform Insh Marshes into a prime example of a naturally functioning floodplain and river system. This is an ideal opportunity for someone looking for their first contract and wish to develop their skills and experience in reserve management.
This is a Contract, Full Time role for 6 months. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
Closing date: 23:59, 31 October 2021
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position from 10th November 2021.
The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).