Environmental / Conservation
This is an amazing opportunity to be involved with three Nature Reserves on the Cumbrian Coast stretching from Hodbarrow in the South, St Bees Head in the West and Campfield Marsh in the north. This exciting role will work on a variety of habitats including a coastal lagoon, peat bog, sea cliffs, Saltmarsh and wet grassland.
Part-Time Farm Estate Worker
Location: Cumbrian Coast Reserves
Salary: £17,960.00 - £19,925.00 Pro Rata
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Hours: 18.75 hours per week (Part-Time)
Based predominantly at Campfield Marsh, our client is recruiting for a permanent part-time farm estate worker to assist with the everyday running of the Reserves to ensure they are the best they can be for wildlife and for visitors.
What's the role about?
Due to an increased workload following an extensive re-design of the wet grassland at Campfield Marsh Reserve the role will work closely with the rest of the Cumbria Coast Team to implement their ambitious programme of conservation management objectives. The ideal candidate will have experience of working on nature reserves or farms and have extensive practical skills including using farm machinery such as tractors, post knockers and toppers. The role will be varied with a variety of tasks however the main responsibility for the successful candidate will be the maintenance of 6km of electric predator fencing as well as maintenance of machinery.
As the Farm Estate Worker you will use your extensive skills to lead on practical work around the reserve ensuring delivery of their management plan and the upkeep of their visitor infrastructure. You will work closely with the Cumbria Coast Warden and be part of a small but dynamic team where your excellent communication skills will be essential in working together to get things done. As well as your ability to work as part of a team you will also be comfortable working on your own and using your own initiative. You’ll have plenty of energy and a keenness to learn and develop as part of your role.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience:
- Demonstrable experience of safely using and maintaining farm machinery and tractors including toppers, post knocker, quad bike.
- Maintenance of buildings and infrastructure to ensure they are operating as required.
- Maintenance of livestock infrastructure and assisting with the welfare of livestock to ensure the reserves meet all animal welfare and cross compliance legislation
- Experience of fencing – both installing and repairing.To include livestock fences, boundary fences and predator fences.
- Routine operation, record keeping, servicing and maintenance of machinery and vehicles to ensure they are operating safely and efficiently.
- Keeping up to date health and safety records to ensure compliance with health and safety regulations and to enable improvements to be set.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work closely with others - graziers and other staff members/volunteers.
- Common sense and a 'can-do' attitude
- You will have knowledge and experience of practical land and habitat management.
- Knowledge of servicing and maintaining vehicles, machinery, tools and equipment to agreed standards.
Desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Lantra or equivalent qualification in Tractor driving, quad bike driving and brushcutter
- Livestock management – although you won’t be responsible for livestock you maybe required to work along-side graziers.
- Knowledge/understanding of nature conservation.
- Knowledge of this charity’s Cumbria Coast Reserves and habitats
- This role will involve lone working and working in remote locations.
- This role will require occasional weekend, early morning and evening working so will need someone who is able to be flexible.
- Working pattern is flexible depending on the candidate.
This is a Permanent, Part-Time role for 18.75 hours per week.
Closing date: 23:59, 07 November 2021
The charity is looking to conduct interviews for this position from the end of November 2021.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).
No agencies please.