Charity / Voluntary, Health / Nursing, Management, Medical, Social Care
South & Vale Abingdon, Oxfordshire
We are looking for a proactive, approachable and supportive Deputy Manager to assist the Locality Manager with the day-to-day management of the South & Vale Locality team and smooth running of the service.
Hours: 37 hours per week -Full Time
Salary: £26,446 - £28,791 SCP 19-23
Holidays: 28 days plus bank holidays
Pension: Auto enrolment in place
Probationary Period: 6 months
Accountable To: Locality Manager
Base: Abingdon Wellbeing Centre, 1st Floor, The Charter Complex, Broad Street, Abingdon. OX14 3LZ
This is an exciting time to join the team as we develop our work with local communities to provide high quality and accessible services.
The Wellbeing Service offers a wide variety of services that provide support to those struggling with their mental wellbeing.
- Five Wellbeing Centres throughout the county
- The Information Service, including the Oxfordshire Mind Guide publication, website and the Information Line
- Physical Activity and Wellbeing
- Benefits for Better Mental Health, a welfare benefits advice service
- Oxford and Banbury Safe Havens
- Embedded workers in primary and secondary care in Oxfordshire & Berkshire
- Services for Children and Young People
Service Purpose: The Localities Service provides holistic wellbeing support to anyone in Oxfordshire experiencing a mental health issue or poor mental wellbeing, empowering people in their own recovery. They offer an initial Options session to help people identify their wellbeing support needs and signpost to a wide range of services available within Oxfordshire Mind and in the local community. They offer a broad range of peer support groups and short courses to enable people to learn tools and strategies to improve their wellbeing.
Job Purpose: To support the Locality Team Manager to ensure effective delivery of high-quality locality-based services for people experiencing mental health issues in Oxfordshire. Providing direct support to service users through Option sessions, short courses and peer support groups as well as providing management support to the team.
Leadership and Management
- Line manage direct reports and other staff/volunteers/students as directed.
- Support the Locality Manager with workforce planning, resourcing and monitoring of the Locality Team & Service.
- Ensure regular, effective one-to-one support and supervision sessions are carried out with direct reports, and others as requested by the Locality Manager.
- Ensure temporary and locum staff are trained, supported and supervised as required.
- Provide support, advice and guidance to staff making day-to-day decisions.
- Contribute to a culture of continuous improvement and promote good practice through involving service users in service development and delivery.
- Participate in the recruitment and induction of Locality staff and volunteers as directed by the Locality Manager.
- Lead specific tasks or projects as directed by the Locality Manager.
- Manage the team and deputise for the Locality Manager in their absence.
- Lead or facilitate effective team meetings in the absence of the Locality Manager.
Liaison and Development
- In the absence of the Locality Manager; share information about the wider organisation, ensuring that staff, volunteers, peer supporters and service users are well informed.
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders and the wider organisation, as directed by the Locality Manager, to ensure effective joint working.
- Understand and share knowledge of the local context and community within the Locality Team.
- Contribute to the planning and delivery of Wellbeing Services across the Locality including existing Wellbeing Centres, satellite locations, outreach work and new locations as agreed with the Locality Manager.
- Work with the Locality Manager to ensure Oxfordshire Mind’s services are accessible, delivered to the highest possible standard and that performance is monitored and recorded.
- Facilitate the provision of person-centred support within a recovery approach.
- Facilitate Options Sessions, Groups, Courses, Workshops and other Wellbeing Services as directed by the Locality Manager.
- Ensure that all individuals accessing Wellbeing Services in the Locality receive an appropriate assessment, agreed action plan and follow up, in conjunction with the Locality Manager.
- Ensure that safeguarding concerns are addressed promptly in line with Oxfordshire Mind’s policies and procedures.
- Recognise and appropriately challenge mental health stigma and discrimination of all kinds, promoting equality and diversity.
Health & Safety
- Support the Locality Team Manager to meet all Health & Safety requirements and maintain the necessary records.
- Respond to day-to-day occurrences ensuring the services are safe, staffed and that problems are handled in a responsive and efficient manner.
- Ensure that premises are well managed and maintained to a high standard, in line with leases or other occupancy agreements, in conjunction with the Locality Team Manager.
Supervision, training, meetings and support
- Ensure staff training is kept up to date.
- Attend regular supervision, group reflective practice and participate in annual appraisals.
- Attend training as appropriate.
- Be proactive in reviewing and evaluating personal performance and identifying areas for improvement and development.
- Attend and participate in team meetings and other meetings as required.
We expect all of our employees to:
- Understand and implement all safeguarding policies and procedures in relation to working with children, young people and adults at risk of harm
- Enhance equity, diversity, inclusion and equality within our work
- Involve people with lived experience of mental health problems in every aspect of our work
- Attend regular meetings and supervision as required
This is not an exhaustive list and employees may be required to perform activities not listed here.
This job description covers the current range of duties and will be reviewed from time to time. It is Oxfordshire Mind’s aim to reach agreement on changes, but if agreement is not possible, Oxfordshire Mind reserves the right to change this job description.
Person Specification / Selection Criteria
Deputy Manager (Localities)
- Minimum of one years’ experience in a relevant setting
- Strong understanding of mental health issues
- Experience of working with individuals enabling them to identify their own goals to support personal wellbeing and recovery, and the ability to support them in pursuing these
- Experience of partnership working with other agencies, both voluntary and statutory, developing positive working relationships and cooperation
- Experience of working in an often-demanding environment
- Proven experience of positively managing change
Skills and Knowledge
- Positive attitude and understanding of mental health and sensitivity to the needs of people living with mental health problems
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to analyse information and provide statistical data, write reports and present an argument
- Ability to demonstrate decision making and problem-solving skills.
- Capacity to cope effectively with the pressures of the post and to use the support and supervision provided
- Excellent organisational, planning, administrative and IT skills
- Strong commitment to the involvement of people who use services, social inclusion and recovery
- Current valid Driving Licence and use of car for work purposes
- Experience of managing services and teams in a similar setting
- Experience of supervising staff and/or volunteers
The following are required of all roles with Oxfordshire Mind. However, you do not need to address these in your application:
- Genuine interest in and commitment to Oxfordshire Mind’s work and client group
- Strong commitment to equality and diversity
- Willingness to work flexibly in response to changing organisational requirements
- Willingness and ability to work hours outside of normal office hours on occasion
Closing date: Tuesday 11th October 2022
Shortlisting date: Wednesday 12th October 2022
Interview date: Wednesday 19th October 2022
Interview location: Abingdon Wellbeing Hub - Abingdon Wellbeing Centre, 1st Floor, The Charter Complex, Broad Street, Abingdon. OX14 3LZ
We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).