Charity / Voluntary, Environmental / Conservation
Data Support Engineer
Location: Flexible in England – WFH
Salary: £23,939.00 - £26,558.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave (pro-rata)
Duration: 6 Months Fixed Term Contract
This is a Fixed-Term role for 37.5 hours per week, for 6 months. The RSPB reserves the right to extend or make this role permanent without further advertising dependent on business needs at the end of the contract term.
The RSPB has always been here to save nature - from our origins as a campaign to end the use of feathers in women's hats right through to our present-day groundbreaking research, saving species from extinction, protecting some of wildlife's finest sites in the UK and beyond and engaging millions of people in the wonders of wildlife. We've been successful because we've always adapted. We've never stood still. We have and continue to evolve.
A critical part of this is fundraising and engaging our supporters and the Supporter Data Delivery team plays an important role in this. We are looking to recruit an individual to join and upskill as a data processing specialist. You will assist with training, providing support for front line colleagues, to help investigate problems, and correct errors and anomalies within the database by interpreting and utilising a range of dashboards, correction scripts and integrity reports, as well as assist with the testing of new developments & system upgrades to ensure data quality and integrity is maintained.
As part of a team of three Data Support Engineers and two Senior Data Support Engineers you will work to maintain the integrity of our supporter's personal data to ensure they receive the best experience possible from the RSPB whilst adhering to individual data protection preferences. You will be an excellent communicator, skilled in organising yourself in a fast paced and busy working environment and have an impressive track-record in getting things done, as well as being able to identify and realise new opportunities.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone that has a real passion for data and is looking for an entry point into this field to further their career.
What's the role about?
The RSPB has one of the largest charity membership databases in the UK, this role sits at the heart of our data acquisition process ensuring the data we collect is compliant, accurate and fulfils the purpose for which it was acquired.
This role will deliver the daily import and integrity of data within the RSPB's main supporter database. The postholder will ensure that all data is imported on a timely basis, is accurate, of high quality and adheres to our business rules and standards.
The role will also provide support to front end users and training and support for new users, as well as testing of new suppliers and campaign data flows.
Essential skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Proficient user of MS software packages.
- Basic analytical and problem-solving capability.
- A strong level of attention to detail and an understanding of the need for data quality and accuracy. Ideally you will have direct experience as a database user, particularly around data entry and data correction, but also experience or interest in learning how data is imported and maintained.
- Experience monitoring of the import of data including error handling and resolution.
- Confident communicator and able to resolve queries in a pro-active and customer focused way.
- Understanding of data compliance and best practise particularly in relation to personal data and will be expected to monitor and feedback on third party and internal data suppliers’ performance as well as being able to work with fundraising colleagues to set up and test data imports from new sources.
- Drive to make the RSPB a 'digital first' organisation, ensuring that the functionality we require behind the scenes is in place, to enable us to deliver on the organisation’s future requirements for its supporter data.
Desirable skills, knowledge, and experience:
- Experience within a data management environment, possibly having worked in a data entry role in a customer service team.
- Experience of relational database development tools such as e.g., Microsoft SQL Server and job management and scheduling software packages.
- Basic level of understanding SQL database schema, connections, and experience in SQL query writing.
- Basic understanding of relevant legal requirements, in terms of data protection, HMRC, Gift Aid regulation, Direct Debit and PCI compliance ideally from a charity perspective.
- Technical knowledge and experience in relevant discipline/specialism. Experience in working with Advanced Business Solutions Care NG CRM or equivalent CRM solution.
Closing date: 23:59, Thursday 18th August 2022
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position immediately.
This role will require completion of the standard pre-employment checks. The RSPB is an equal opportunities employer. This role is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).