Charity / Voluntary, Construction / Skilled Trades / Outdoor, Property / Housing
Job Title: Clerk of Works/Technical Officer
Salary range: £35,000-£40,000 (Depending on Experience)
Reports to: Building Surveyor
Line reports: None/Contractors
Location: Friends House, Euston, London – Travel required around London
Contract: 24 Months initially (with the possibility of extension)
Working Hours: Full-time (4 days considered for the right candidate)
The London Quakers Property Trust (LQPT) is a charity that has existed for over three hundred years. Our primary responsibility is to provide spaces for Quakers to worship in London. LQPT has an extensive property portfolio of 33 Quaker Meeting Houses (including 10 Grade II listed) across the city and a programme of planned periodic maintenance (quinquennial surveys), repairs and improvement work. In addition, LQPT holds a small portfolio of residential properties and LQPT is responsible for maintaining these properties.
The role of Technical Officer works alongside the Building Surveyor to plan, manage, and deliver on the reports, repairs and maintenance of all LQPT buildings, whilst managing rising building costs.
1. Assist the Building surveyor by:
- Implementing and managing major/minor planned maintenance, improvements, reactive repairs, and cyclical maintenance contracts.
- Inspect properties, record, and take forward necessary remedial action.
- Prepare information and obtain quotations for planned repair work and reactive repair work.
- Coordinate records of maintenance history and ensure that cyclical maintenance jobs and records are maintained up to date.
- Coordinate and schedule appointments for day-to-day and cyclical maintenance jobs in liaison with the Building Surveyor.
- Vet and monitor contractors’ and insurance policies and liaise and inform insurers of any work being carried out.
- Assist in managing contractors on site and/or visit works in progress, inspect workmanship, quality, and safety of works, major/planned maintenance projects and reactive repairs and report back to the Building Surveyor.
- Provide weekly updates to the team regarding the progress against the programme, specification issues and any other technical matter relating to the project.
- Manage workload and liaise as necessary with the building surveyor to ensure delivery of the defined objectives, standards, and timescale.
2. Responsible for aspects of Health and Safety including:
- Organise and carry out H&S checks yearly and every 5 years (in coordination with the Building Surveyor and Premises Support Officer).
- Coordinate and maintain a list of emergency call-out telephone numbers of contractors and services.
3. Building management;
- Maintain (together with the Building Surveyor and Premises Support Officer) a complete set of duplicate keys for all meeting houses, residentials and other sites and provide these for tenants/contractors/Estate Agents at the request of the Senior Manager/Building Surveyor or others.
- Assist the team in creating a database for each property bringing together documentation of construction and all guarantees, drawings, operations manuals, maintenance plans etc.
4. Legislation & Regulatory compliance;
- Keep up to date with appropriate legislation and safety standards and ensure any work instructed is carried out in a safe manner.
- In ensuring Planning and building control regulations are adhered to where required for building works.
- To notify insurance companies of major and some minor building works, keeping them up to date on progress until completion.
- Any other duties as required and indicated by the line manager.
Note: This is a description of the job as it is presently constituted. It is the practice of LQPT to examine job descriptions from time to time and to update them to ensure they relate to the job as being performed, or to incorporate whatever changes are being proposed. This will be conducted in consultation with you. It is LQPT’s aim to reach an agreement on changes, but if an agreement is not possible, LQPT reserves the right to insist on changes to your job description, after consultation with you.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).