Accountancy / Finance, Management
An opportunity has arisen for a modern, forward thinking and thoroughly professional accountant to become the Brigade’s Accountancy Manager with responsibility for leading the Accountancy team within Financial Services (Accountancy, Payroll and Pensions, Payments and Revenues and Financial Systems).
Salary: £44,863 - £46,845 (Grade 11)
Hours: Full Time - 37 Hours per week, Flexi Time
Work Pattern: Monday to Friday
Be Part of This Organisation’s Story and play a key role in their future successes…
This post is part of the recent restructure of Financial Services and will work with the Financial Services Manager and other team Managers to enable the Accountancy team to perform their activities more effectively, efficiently and in a sustainable way.
The successful candidate will be responsible for both financial and management accountancy related matters and in doing so give high quality and timely information to support the strategic and operational objectives of the Brigade.
The post will be based at Headquarters in Sheffield but you will be expected to be proactive in developing and managing effective long-term relationships with management and teams dispersed across the County.
To be considered for this role you will have significant previous experience of:
Working in a finance environment at a senior level, including financial management and accounting experience.
- Assisting the development, preparation and reporting of robust strategic and operational financial, business and performance plans.Implementing appropriate financial and other internal controls to prevent or deter fraud, error or misuse.
- Developing and implementing new ways of working including the better use of automation and systems to drive efficiency and effectiveness in Accountancy and across an organisation.
- Implementing and leading a highly successful approach to business partnering across financial services activities.
- Developing and managing highly effective long-term working relationships with non-finance professionals and staff.Identifying, developing and implementing innovative and entrepreneurial solutions to both policy and practical problems.
- Developing a high performing Accountancy team and individuals.
You must possess:
- A thorough understanding of public sector accounting, financial management and legislative and regulatory frameworks.
- Clear communication skills both written and verbal to include presentation of information to elected members, senior management and others.
- Strong professional/technical, analytical skills and problem solving ability.
- A sound understanding, knowledge and application of modern approaches to developing a highly performing Accountancy team that is professionally well respected both within the organisation and with external stakeholders.
- A strong appetite and positive, open attitude to identifying, developing and managing change that supports continuous improvement.
- A thorough understanding and knowledge of developing, maintaining and implementing systems of internal financial control and governance to ensure finite resources are prioritised, targeted and used appropriately.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to allocate resources, prioritise workloads, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- An understanding of the strategic aims and objectives of the wider organisation and how the Accountancy and Finance function can contribute towards these.
The key duties will include:
- Preparation and development of both long term and Annual Financial Plans (Capital and Revenue).
- Preparation of monthly financial performance reports for a range of different stakeholders.
- Preparation of Statutory Accounts and Government Returns and Claims.
- Working with and developing effective relationships with both internal and external audit.
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 29 October 2021.
Interview dates are yet to be scheduled but are likely to held between the 1st November and 12th November 2021.
In submitting your application, please indicate your likely availability for interview for those dates, so that a mutually convenient date and time can be arranged.
New starters will normally commence on the bottom of the salary grade and will receive increases to the top of the grade on an incremental basis. The Service offers 27 days annual leave (pro-rata) plus Bank Holidays. Annual leave increases after 5 years’ service to 31 days, followed by an extra day a year up to a maximum of 36 days. They also operate a generous flexi time attendance scheme.
Other benefits include; a cycle 2 work scheme, a free on site gym, enhanced maternity and paternity schemes and the opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme.
All applications will be given equal consideration and they particularly welcome applications from individuals from ethnic minority backgrounds, women, those who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning or Other (LGBTQ+) or are disabled as these groups are currently underrepresented within our workforce. They also offer a guaranteed interview scheme in relation to disability.
Applications from job share candidates will be considered and all applications will be given equal consideration.
Please note the appointment is subject to successful pre employment screening i.e. asylum and immigration check, references, medical screening, substance misuse testing and Disclosure Scotland Criminal Records Check or Enhanced DBS check (formerly CRB) if applicable.
To Apply and for more information
Click the job board apply button to be taken to the next stage where you can find out more information and complete your application by following the instructions (you may need to scroll down).